Sunday, December 31, 2023

Almost twenty years ago, someone I trusted- and shouldn't have- accused me of being a narcissist. I know now that it was a reflection of their feelings, and not of who I actually was, or am. Anything I liked, including myself, was a threat to that person's perception of their importance in my life, so they spent a lot of time kicking their competition (which included me). But I'll be damned if that accusation hasn't resided, rent-free in my head, ever since. The lingering doubt that maybe there was something wrong, is something wrong, with me. And that's why they weren't happy. So many years on and part of me still believes I had any influence over the outcome of that situation, as if I could have changed something about myself and fixed it all. Be careful who you let into your life, and for how long.

No comments:

Post a Comment